Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thing 8

Wow, another great and quite useful tool. I found the delicious tagging site to be very user friendly, and can definitely see this being an easy way to add to your personal library of resources. It is awesome in that when you get a new computer, you still have all of your favorites. The virtual world is so cool in that it is history in the making continuously. I am forever amazed at how advanced this generation is becoming with technology. Makes me seriously wonder what more can evolve in the next generation. Good lord willing, I will be around to know what I can :) The tagging is useful, in being able to sort, it eliminates some of the searching to find which one has that particular thing you are looking for.
As I was creating my bookmarks, I chose a few I frequent, and a couple of personal ones; simply experimenting with the site. I can see that it would be easy to teach and help students to manipulate as well. I was thinking things like tips for homework, math strategies, writing tools, and science links; it could go on and on. So, using in the classroom, definitely reasonable. The only drawback again that might pose any problem would be the setting up of accounts. It seems as though that is necessary for most of the tools we have used. Something worth thinking about for sure. Overall, I have to say I have enjoyed learning about the things and appreciate your thoughtful responses. So, here goes 2010-2011. Go Tigers! See you soon.

Delicious username:
http://delicious.com/hewittfour

1 comment:

  1. Great job setting up your Delicious account! I, too, love that Delicious lets you keep your bookmarks regardless of which computer you happen to be working on! Before I discovered this tool, I can't tell you how many times I would sit down at my home computer and be completely unable to locate a site I needed because I had bookmarked it on my school computer!

    Tagging can be extremely handy, as it allows you to organize your links according to the labels and topics you need. Sometimes I don't even realize how two sites are connected until I start tagging!

    You're absolutely right that creating an account can be a barrier to using this tool with students, especially if you want them to create their own Delicious accounts. You can, however, share your own Delicious links with students without requiring them to create accounts. So, for example, as a librarian, I can create a list of links for a research project on, say, the water cycle and give the students a direct link to my Delicious account, allowing them to access the sites I've already pre-screened and approved as appropriate for the project.

    Thanks so much for participating this summer! I really enjoyed reading your posts (and crying at your sweet YouTube videos)! I'm looking forward to this year!

    Thing 8 complete!

    ReplyDelete